Wednesday 30 January 2013

Self critic


CRITIC

Module 2.....by now, lots of new things had been learnt. I had now overcome my fear of handling the sewing machine. My illustrations had improved and I was capable of stitching a top and a skirt. It felt good, but that was just the beginning.
Week 1:
Our first week was pretty slow. It started with the industrial visit which was quite interesting and fun. We bought fabrics and even shopped a bit. We even learnt the basic bodice and basic skirt drapes. Draping a garment felt pretty easy compared to pattern making.
Week 2:
In our second week we draped a sheath dress. Each one of us had different designs of our own and even our fabrics varied. The dress draped by me was in taffeta. One important thing that I learnt was that taffeta needs to be handled with care as it wrinkles very easily and water stains the fabric. Alongside we made mind-maps on things that we had seen on the I.V.
Week 3:
It was now time to work on our sketch book. We could select any random topics. This gave us a chance to explore more. Few of my topics came to me unknowingly, like haircuts came from a mind map on a parlour.
Week 4:
Time to drape… taking inspiration from the topics we had to to drape partial garments or just small samples. It was fun as we did a lot of cutting and twisting of fabrics. We combined different fabrics to form textures.
Week 5:
After all the drapes that we’d experimented with it was time to start with the design development. Making the dds has always been one of my favourites.
Week 6:
Out of the dds that we had made, 6 line ups were selected which were put in the portfolio. The portfolio also had the write up, the industrial visit, the 4 concept boards and the final garment.
Week 7:
Construction of the final garment was a long, tiring, but interesting procedure.


No comments:

Post a Comment